The Government of Ecuador declares a state of emergency in the face of intense protests in its territory

QUITO.- In the midst of the attempts protests called by indigenous groups who oppose the recent economic policies adopted by the government of Ecuador, President Guillermo Lasso declared a state of exception and three provinces of his national territory, at the same time announcing that social compensation measures would be taken for risk sectors.

The measure will last 30 days in the provinces of Cotopaxi, Imbabura and Pichincha – which includes the capital Quito – which have seen increased violence amid protests such as attacks on flower farms, retention of police officers and damage to public and private infrastructure.

It may interest you: Ecuador decrees a state of emergency in three provinces and deploys 9,000 police and military.

With the state of exception, Lasso imposed a circulation restriction in Quito from Saturday from 10:00 p.m. local time to 5:00 a.m. local time and the prohibition of crowds in public spaces throughout the day in the three affected provinces.

I called for dialogue and the response was more violence, there is no intention to seek solutions,” Lasso said in a televised intervention on Friday night. “From here I promise to defend our capital and defend the country.”

Government policy changes

Indigenous groups began the protest indefinitely on Monday. The protesters are asking for about ten changes in government policieswhich includes a reduction in fuel pricelonger term to cover its financial debts and limit oil and mining expansion.

Lasso said that he will increase economic aid for vulnerable sectors, will subsidize up to 50% the price of urea for small and medium farmers and the Public banking will forgive all overdue loans up to 3 thousand dollars.

There will be no increase in fuels, nor privatization of public services and strategic sectors, according to Lasso.

The indigenous keep blocked sections of roads that connect to Quito from the north and south of the country. Students have supported the protest.

Losses of 50 million dollars

Protesters have complained of a strong police crackdown.

The president of CONAIE, Leonidas Iza, said that Lasso’s announcements partially resolved some of their requests, but that they distrusted his application.

From this moment we prepare the mobilization, we will enter to reject these policies in the city of Quito,” he added in an intervention on his social networks early Saturday morning.

The protests have stopped losses so far of 50 million dollars for the productive sector due to the blockade of roads and in several cities there is beginning to be a shortage of products and fuel.

on this note

Leave a Comment