Cartilage and ligaments can wear down over time and cause pain. Learn about natural remedies to strengthen cartilage and ligaments here.
Cartilage and ligaments can wear down over time and cause pain. Although there are different treatments for these, there are also natural remedies for cartilage and ligaments.
Not only athletes or older adults need to strengthen them, although it is true that they are the two groups of people who suffer the most problems in that area.
Prevention is always better than cure, therefore, in the following article we give you some home remedies and recommendations so that both tissues are healthy.
What to know about cartilage and ligaments
Before moving on to the remedies and recommendations, it would be good if you knew a little about these tissues so important to our body.
Cartilage is elastic connective tissues that line the joints and allow them to move smoothly. There are three types:
- Hyaline: the most abundant in the body.
- Fibrous: located where ligaments and tendons attach.
- Elastic: present in the larynx, ear and epiglottis.
For their part, the ligaments are a band of fibrous, solid and elastic connective tissue that joins the bones within the joint. They allow movements, but avoid forced displacements that lead to dislocations. They are classified into two:
- Acintados: they go from one bone to the other without losing contact with the bone structure.
- Cordonados: jump from one bone to the next.
Read also: How to prevent cartilage pain
How to detect damaged cartilage and ligaments?
The most compromised area is usually that of the knees since they must support all our weight, although the shoulders, wrists or heels also suffer. Both tissues can be affected by different conditions, including:
- Degenerative diseases, such as arthritis.
- Obesity or being overweight.
- Excess physical exercise.
- Repetitive movements.
- Transportation of heavy objects.
The main symptoms of cartilage or ligament damage are: pain when trying to move the joint, muscle tension and swelling in the affected area.
How to Strengthen Cartilage and Ligaments Naturally
The following remedies, recipes and foods can be used to reinforce the health of the tissues or to help you in case you have had an injury and want to recover faster.
This dairy derivative produced by the bacterial fermentation of milk (more precisely from lactose in lactic acid) can be very helpful if you tend to have cartilage and ligament problems.
This staple food for many cultures around the world contains beneficial bacteria for our body and also provides calcium to improve bone health.
It is proven that gelatin could play an important role in regenerating cartilage and ligaments, according to this research carried out by Yonsei University (South Korea). It is very rich in collagen, which is responsible for repairing tissues, bones, tendons. It provides essential amino acids, it has no fat or cholesterol.
It can also be combined with fruits and there are different flavors, although the one that does not include artificial colors is always better. The following recipe with gelatin is very rich, fresh and natural. In addition, it contains banana, rich in potassium. This is also important for tissue recovery.
- 2 tablespoons of unflavored gelatin (20 grams).
- 1 banana
- 1 orange
- 2 tablespoons of water (20 grams).
- 2 tablespoons of honey (40 grams).
- First, squeeze the juice out of the orange. Mash the banana.
- Next, mix the banana puree with the honey and reserve.
- Then, dissolve the gelatin with water and heat in a water bath.
- Pour in the orange juice and mix well.
- Then, put it in a mold and put it in the refrigerator for 20 minutes.
- Finally, when serving time, place the banana puree with honey underneath and the gelatin cube with orange on top.
Soybeans or soybeans are traded around the world and have multiple uses. Its seeds have a good amount of protein and you can consume them in various presentations: milk, flour, tofu and fermented products. To take advantage of its benefits, we recommend that it be organic.
The following home remedy is used to strengthen cartilage and ligaments, as it provides magnesium, potassium, silicon and even chlorophyll. All these nutrients are involved in the health of tissues.
- 3 tablespoons of nettle leaves (80 grams).
- 4 cups of water (1 liter).
- 1 teaspoon of lemon juice (10 grams).
- 2 tablespoons of honey (40 grams).
- First, heat the water and when it comes to a boil add the nettle.
- Let it boil for 15 minutes and remove from the heat.
- Then, after 15 minutes, filter and pour into a glass bottle.
- Then, put it in the fridge for 1 hour.
- Before drinking, add the lemon juice and honey.
- Mix well and drink cold (you can add ice cubes if you wish).
We recommend you read: How effective is nettle for hair care?
Because they stimulate the production of collagen, foods that contain vitamin C should not be missing from your diet, as stated in this study from the Jehangir Hospital (India). Consume lemon, orange, kiwi and strawberries to take advantage of all their benefits.
6. Turmeric and cinnamon
Both spices, with such characteristic flavor and aroma, have anti-inflammatory properties that can be useful in case of swelling in the joints, tendons, ligaments or cartilage. This is stated in this study by Central Michigan University and this research by MS Ramaiah Medical College (India).
Therefore, we recommend adding a pinch of either of the two to your meals, infusions and desserts. Not only will they add a delicious taste, but they will improve your health.
Take advantage of these natural, inexpensive and easy-to-prepare remedies to strengthen your cartilage and ligaments. Remember to be careful when exercising and not strain your joints. Likewise, if you feel constant pain, visit your doctor.