Franco Casco’s family met with the Secretariat for Human Rights, who will once again be the complainant

Facebook: Horacio Pietragalla Corti.

The Secretary of Human Rights of the Nation, Horacio Pietragalla Corti, received the family of Franco Casco, the young man who in 2014 was detained at the 7th police station in Rosario and later found dead in the Paraná River, and told them that he will return to assume the role of plaintiff in the case in which there are 19 police officers who will go to trial next December.

The secretariat reported that said plaintiff role had been maintained in 2015 but was later abandoned by the management of the Cambiemos government.

In a press release it was indicated that during the meeting “Pietragalla Corti expressed the current management’s commitment to the families of victims of police violence and to the policies that are being carried out to train the security forces with a human rights perspective. of all country”.

“Although institutional violence cuts across all governments, not all of us react in the same way. This government has a strong commitment against institutional violence and that is why we actively support demands for truth and justice, ”said the Secretary for Human Rights. The National Director of Policies against Institutional Violence, Mariano Przybylski, also participated in the meeting.

On December 6, the start of the trial of the 19 police officers accused of the forced disappearance of Casco, who was 20 years old, is announced.

In December 2019, federal judge Carlos Vera Barros granted the request presented by the prosecutor Guillermo Lega, who accused these agents, mostly belonging to the 7th section in which the victim was detained and was seen alive for the last time.

In turn, the representative of the Public Prosecutor’s Office (MPF) also accused agents of Internal Affairs of the Police of the province.

According to the judge’s ruling, four of the policemen will be tried as co-perpetrators of the crimes of forced disappearance of persons aggravated by the death of the victim, and the imposition of any kind of torture on persons, legitimately or illegitimately deprived of their liberty, followed of the victim’s death.

Another seven agents will face charges as co-perpetrators but only for forced disappearance of persons aggravated by the death of the victim; and six as secondary participants in the same crime, the sources detailed.

While the remaining two will be tried for the crime that punishes whoever conceals, alters or makes the traces, evidence or instruments of the crime disappear, or helps the author or participant to hide, alter or make them disappear and assures or helps the author or participant to ensure the proceeds or profit of the crime.

On the other hand, nine policemen were dismissed for the crime of forced disappearance of a person aggravated by the death of the victim and another three for the crime of concealment.

According to the record, on October 6, 2014, around 5.30 p.m., Casco left an aunt’s house in Rosario for the train station to return to the Buenos Aires town of Florencio Varela, where he lived with his family.

In the vicinity of the station, he was approached by agents of the 7th Police Station, although for now the circumstances of the manner, time and place in which the arrest took place are unknown.

The investigation revealed that Casco was transferred to the branch office, where he was isolated in a “small, dark and filthy” cell, which they called La Jaulita because there they locked up young people who were apprehended for alleged background checks.

According to the testimonies of prisoners housed in that police station, some of whom were able to speak with Casco, at one point there were blows and loud cries for help from the young man.

After that, “there was absolute silence and they did not listen to the victim again, nor did they see her the next day when they received visitors, which particularly caught their attention,” the prosecutor said.

The Police told Franco’s relatives that the young man had been apprehended for an attack and resistance to authority, since “he was drugged, as if he were lost” and assured that he was later released.

Casco never arrived at Retiro, where his mother, Elsa, was waiting for him, and in the face of the inquiries, “the staff registered his arrest, significantly modifying his personal data, surname, document number and address” and gave intervention to the prosecutor on duty “with the purpose of giving legal support to a totally irregular procedure ”.

The prosecutor’s opinion highlights the importance of the victim’s father going to the police station, since if he had not done so, “it would never have been discovered that Casco had been deprived of his liberty.”

The concealment maneuvers continued until on October 30, the Naval Prefecture found Franco’s body in the Paraná River.

The autopsy and other evidence made it possible to establish that the young man had been murdered before being thrown into the river and that the immersion time was compatible with the date of his disappearance.

Telam Agency

Leave a Comment