Violence in Arauca, Attorney General’s Office assists displaced population – Conflict and Drug Trafficking – Justice

(Also read: Fear persists in Arauca after the 23 New Year’s murders)

Until January 12, the control body had attended the declarations of 105 displaced families, which is equivalent to 51 percent of the total attention (206) carried out to date in the municipalities of Tame, Saravena, Fortul, Arauquita and Arauca capital.

(You may be interested: War between illegal networks unleashed violence in Arauca)

According to what the authorities have reported, the recent murders in the region are mainly due to the confrontation between FARC dissidents and the Eln for the control of illicit income on the border.

In this sense, eight spaces for dialogue with civil society and 15 more for monitoring the institutional response have been held, to learn first-hand how the social problem is progressing and manage the adjustment of the protocols and care routes of the entities, in order to effectively resolve each situation.

Precisely after spaces for dialogue with civil society and representatives of the region, the delegate attorney for Human Rights, Javier Sarmiento, indicated that the information up to January 13 shows 547 individual declarations of victims of violence in the region. These statements were collected in 44 percent by the Attorney General’s Office, and in the remaining 56 percent, by the representatives.

In addition, Sarmiento reported that between January 12 and 13 there was an increase of 165 percent in the taking of statements from victims, which may be a sign of a trend towards an increase in displaced persons.

“In those two days we collected 341 individual statements, the facts declared as the most victimizations are, for all the victims, forced displacement, but we have also received reports of victims who, in addition to displacement, suffered threats (21 percent) and who were victims of homicides (2 percent),” said the Attorney General.

The Attorney General’s Office has carried out eight spaces for dialogue with civil society and 15 more to monitor the institutional response.

On the other hand, the delegated prosecutors for the Follow-up to the Peace Agreement and for the Defense of Human Rights asked the mayors and officials of the aforementioned municipalities, requesting official reports on the steps taken in the face of the humanitarian crisis.

(We suggest you read: The Ombudsman’s Office launches an alert for displacement in Arauca)

In the same sense, the Military Forces and the Victims Unit have been officiated, so that they activate the attention protocols and have the necessary economic, physical and human resources to attend to the emergency.

Regarding the intervention plan, Attorney Sarmiento indicated that the Attorney General’s Office will extend it and now the Public Ministry will be in Arauca throughout the month, attending to the community.

“A team of officials from the Ombudsman’s Office traveled to Toledo (Norte de Santander) to talk directly with the nearly 24 families who were forced to move due to the greater risk generated by the actions of the illegal armed groups operating in the border area with Venezuela,” assured this week the Ombudsman, Carlos Camargo.

The entity also pointed out that the violence has spread to Toledo, in Norte de Santander, where a double murder occurred in the first days of the year and one person was injured.

Some of the displaced families told the Ombudsman that, given the wave of violence in Arauca, they will continue their forced displacement to Pamplona, ​​Cácota and Cúcuta, in Norte de Santander.

Leave a Comment