(Washington) Twitter said on Saturday it had shut down an account on the social network linked to Iranian Supreme Leader Ali Khamenei that posted a video calling for revenge for the assassination of General Qassem Soleimani and appeared to target former US President Donald Trump.
“This account has been permanently suspended for violating our rules,” a Twitter spokesperson told AFP.
The @KhameneiSite account posted an animated video this week simulating revenge against Donald Trump, who two years ago ordered a strike that killed General Qassem Soleimani, then head of the Quds Force, in charge of external operations of the Guardians of the Revolution, the ideological army of the Islamic Republic.
This is not the main English account of the Ayatollah, @khamenei_ir, which is still active, but a multimedia account that relays his activities. Last year, a similar account had already been suspended by Twitter because of a similar video.
According to Twitter, protecting people and the content of conversations on the social network is a top priority for the company. The group invokes clear policies about abusive behavior and promises to continue to intervene in case of violations.
Architect of Iran’s regional influence strategy, General Soleimani was eliminated on January 3, 2020 in Baghdad by an American drone strike ordered by Donald Trump. The Supreme Leader has repeatedly promised to avenge his death.
On January 3, on the second anniversary of this strike, Iranian President Ebrahim Raisi also threatened “revenge” from former American leaders, including Donald Trump.
The camp of the former American president regularly denounces the banishment of the Republican billionaire from Twitter, noting in particular that the accounts of several leaders considered by the United States as autocrats, including Ali Khamenei, are they authorized to relay their messages.