The beginning of school life is an opportunity for new learning, experiment, discover and achieve self-realization of children. Early ages are the best time to learn to face the new and / or unknown, in a simple way and by experimenting, since the child makes quick connections at all levels.
The adaptation process for children facing school life for the first time can last an average of a trimester, time that can vary in each child; both parents and school staff should support this process. It is recommended that parents show their children how happy they are at home because of how much fun school will be and how much they are going to learn. On the other hand, the school collaborators should make you feel welcome in this new environment.
It should be remembered that children are very likely to cry for short periods during the first days or weeks, which is normal, since they are leaving their safe zone; They are leaving their home, where everything revolves around them and they will discover that there are more like them. New parents may face fear or sadness and may question whether leaving their child at school is the best decision or should they return home. When children perceive this fear in their parents, they tend to manipulate and express that they do not like school, that their stomach or head hurts, to return home, so the firmness of the parents is crucial.
Preschool education opens up a wide and wonderful horizon for children, where optimal moments, known as sensitive periods, are used to achieve different learning, according to the child’s age. If these periods are wasted, the learning can be achieved later, but it will require much more effort, perseverance and, on some occasions, it will not be achieved in the same way as when it was done at the right time, such is the case of foreign languages.
Some simple elements and tools, but necessary to achieve an adequate adaptation to school life or to a new cycle are:
- Human resource that includes the child, their peers or siblings and parents, who provide guidance and transmit security and optimism about going to school. On the contrary, if the parents transmit sadness or fear to the child because he is going to school, so will the child’s response, which will not be favorable in his adaptation.
- The participation of your teacher or babysitter who receives you and transfers you or accompanies you to your class.
- A welcoming and close environment where you can live a time of flexibility and discovery.
- Incorporate it into fun and sensory activities, according to their age so that they acquire a taste for their learning environment, their teachers, babysitters and classmates.
- Positive reinforcement, in its proper dimension.
It should be remembered that children are very likely to cry for short periods during the first days or weeks.