The secret is to use the ideal combination of ingredients, easy to find, and to use practical techniques. The chef Santos Canel, originally from Santa Cruz La Laguna, Sololá, proposes a brandy tenderloin as a main course that can be made quickly, as long as it is considered that it is necessary to leave the marinated meat one night before cooking.
“This dish represents a mixture of cultures, as it has modern foreign influence. It can be consumed on special occasions, and be prepared by people who do not take so much work ”, explains Canel. The preparation techniques are sealing, baking and cooking, to highlight the sweet and sour taste.
“My recommendation is to choose a cut of meat that is beef tenderloin and leave it to macerate overnight. Also, accompany with puree and salads. Due to the special characteristic of the meat, it is ideal to place it in the center of the table family style ”, indicates the chef.
When asked if national or imported meat is better, Canel responds that, according to his experience, “both work very well. It’s a matter of choosing a tender piece or ordering it from the trusted butcher a few days before to be able to buy the best one ”.
“My beginnings in gastronomy were due to the need that my family had, from which my passion for cooking was born. Currently, foreign gastronomic influences, especially from the United States and Europe, are very strong in my department, since one of the main sources of income in Sololá is tourism ”, points out the chef.
5 pounds of beef tenderloin
For the marinade:
750 ml the brandy
3 red apples cut into cubes
3 guaque chiles, deveined, seeded and chopped
3 tbsp. dried tarragon leaves
2 tsp. ground cinnamon
4 garlic cloves, minced
1 medium onion, chopped
Salt and pepper to taste
For the sauce:
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
½ onion, finely chopped
½ liter of plain cream or whipping cream
1 ounce unsalted butter
Juice that loosens the meat
Place all the marinade ingredients in a bowl. Leave the meat to marinate in this mixture for one night, well covered and refrigerated. Remove the meat from the bowl, and heat a pan to 300 degrees Celsius. Place the meat and seal on each side. In a tray, place the meat with the marinade liquid and cover with aluminum foil. Bake for 25 minutes at 250 degrees Celsius. Remove the meat, and reserve the juice that was released on the tray. Sauté the onion and garlic with the butter. Add the cream after a minute and then add the meat juice. Let it boil for about five minutes or until it thickens. In a rectangular plate present the meat with the cream and slice.
Also read: Exquisite tenderloin in cocoa sauce and aroma of maxán
- Santos Canel is originally from Santa Cruz La Laguna, Sololá.
- He obtained a diploma in National Cuisine and as a Professional Chef at Santorini Culinary Academy.
- He completed a diploma in Basic Food Preparation and Peruvian Cuisine at Intecap, Sololá.
- He has a closed Pensum in Law and Social Sciences from the UMG.
- He worked as executive chef at La casa del mundo hotel, in Santa Cruz La Laguna.
- She carried out ethnographic research and recipes for the book La ruta del flavor and for the program Cocina al día, by Guatevisión.
- He is chef instructor of the culinary program of the NGO Cecap.
- He is a consultant and facilitator of healthy cooking and native plants.
- He is the founder of the Cecap gastronomic festival.
- He has been a qualifying jury for several gastronomic festivals.