The macaroni and cheese they are probably the most iconic menu in American culture. Since we were kids we see them in movies and dream of cooking it at home. Those scenes where children usually cook it in a bowl to get out of trouble and you see the orange color with the melted cheese made our mouths water, and in turn, we thought about how we never prepared it. If children do it, it can’t be that difficult.
The reality is that it is simpler than it seems. The plate is known as Mac & Cheese, and it is usual to prepare it with Cheedar cheese, but that is always up to choice. It is a warm menu, easy and practical to make. In any case, it is important to control the portion since it is a hypercaloric dish. Three handfuls are enough to be satisfied.
This recipe from “Direct to the Palate” brought the simplest formula to prepare this movie recipe at home. Those days of rain and cold where the pastes call are ideal to apply. Then, it only remains to take the tray to the couch and put on Netflix.
For 4 people
- Short pasta macaroni or elbows 200 g
- Grated Parmesan cheese for gratin 75
- Grated Cheddar cheese for the sauce 100 g
- Whole milk 300 ml
- Cornstarch one heaping tablespoon
- Butter 30 g
- Old-fashioned mustard A dessert teaspoon
- Salt and pepper to taste
- We heat a pot with salted water to cook the pasta in it, which we will leave a point harder than al dente to finish cooking them in the oven, which we will also preheat to 200ºC.
- While the pasta is being made, we prepare the macaroni sauce, a kind of béchamel made with milk and corn flour. To do this, in a frying pan, we mix that flour diluted in a little cold milk and then we add the rest of the milk, the teaspoon of mustard, a pinch of salt and another of pepper. Mix well and heat over medium heat. Never stop stirring while heating.
- When the milk has heated up a little, add the butter, stirring well, until the sauce turns into a thick cream. Then we lower the heat to a minimum and add the cheddar cheese, stirring again until incorporated.
- When the pasta is cooked, we mix it with the sauce and place it in a baking dish. Cover with the grated Parmesan cheese and bake in the upper-middle part for 15 minutes, then gratin another three minutes, until it has browned well on the top. We serve by warning diners of the interior temperature, to avoid burns.