The lawyers of the woman who accuses Prince Andrew of sexual abuse when she was a minor assure that the Duke of York has already received the official notification of the legal action against him.
Virginia Giuffre filed a civil suit against the prince in New York last month and legal documents must be served on the defendant before the case continues.
His lawyers say the documents were turned over to a Windsor police officer on August 27.
Prince Andrew denies Giuffre’s accusations.
A spokeswoman for the Duke of York declined to comment on this latest step in the case.
A judge in the United States must now determine whether the documents were indeed served before the case can proceed to court.
This Monday a videoconference is scheduled in the New York court on the next steps of the case.
According to court documents, a response from Prince Andrew is expected before September 17. “If there is no response, there will be a trial in absentia to satisfy the demand,” the statement read.
The prince is currently at Balmoral, the Queen’s residence in Scotland.
Giuffre’s legal team says that by leaving the documents with the agent in Windsor the delivery has been successful.
Giuffre, who was one of the women who accused Jeffrey Epstein, a financial mogul who was convicted of sex crimes and later committed suicide in prison, says she was sexually assaulted by the prince in London and New York.
Giuffre assures that she was transferred to the United Kingdom at the age of 17 to have sex with the prince.
Last month he filed a civil lawsuit seeking to clarify whether his allegations are true and whether the prince must pay for the damage caused.
The lawsuit claims that the son of Elizabeth II sexually abused Giuffre, then known as Virginia Roberts, at the London home of Ghislaine Maxwell, Epstein’s partner, as well as his properties in Manhattan and Little St. James, in the United States Virgin Islands.
He assures that there were sexual acts without the consent of the applicant and that he knew her age and that “she was a victim of a sex trafficking network.”
In 2019, in an interview on the BBC’s Newsnight program, Prince Andrew said of Giuffre’s allegations: “It didn’t happen. Of course I can tell you categorically that it never happened. I don’t remember ever seeing this woman.”
Now you can receive notifications from BBC News Mundo. Download our app and activate them so you don’t miss our best content.