Palazzo, who is also secretary general of the Banking Association, assured that the loan granted to the Government of Mauricio Macri “was a great scam in Argentina” and for this reason “I want to firmly support this project because it puts the biggest question mark in justice who has to is who has to pay the debt and for us the evaders have to pay it”.
“We don’t have to make the workers and the productive sectors pay it, but rather the evaders,” added the legislator who in his beginnings in politics was linked to radicalism and stressed that “I don’t stick with the discourse that we Argentines have to fall in love with Christine Lagarde because she lent us the money; In any case, Argentines fell in love with Yrigoyen, Belgrano, Moreno, Alfonsín, Illia, Perón, Evita, Kirchner and Cristina”.
► YOU MAY BE INTERESTED: Procrear debtors expressed concern about the sustained increase in fees
The Front of All, by majority
The Front of All managed this Wednesday to impose a majority opinion in a plenary session of commissions of the Chamber of Deputies on the project approved by the Senate.
The decision was adopted at a meeting of the General Legislation and Budget commissions of the Lower House – led by the ruling party Cecilia Moreau and Carlos Heller, respectively – in which the majority office promoted by the ruling party met between the two commissions. 41 signatures of which 40 were provided by the FDT and one by the Front of Concord.
Together for Change (JxC) presented a minority opinion with 36 signatures rejecting the project and the legislator of Bonaerense Identity Graciela Camaño (Federal Interbloc) requested a deadline until this Thursday to raise her own office, also opposed to the initiative approved by the Senate.
The ruling party does not give the numbers
Although the ruling party obtained the majority opinion, it still has to face negotiations to obtain the support of 129 legislators to form the quorum and be able to vote on the project in the Lower House session hall, since it has 117 votes and so far it only has the support of five other legislators from the United Provinces.
Opening the debate, Heller said that “it would be a great step to recover the escaped funds from tax evasion with changes of residence or to allocate them to growth policies.”
“The creation of the National Fund puts in the center of the stage the historical question of the flight of dollarstax evasion and what may be the possible ways to face the payment of the debt with the IMF,” he added.
Defending the project, he said that the most important thing about this proposal is that “those residents who did not comply with the tax laws of the country are taxed, that they evaded the payment of taxes that corresponded to them by having obtained important profits in our territory and that they sent abroad”
In this context, he said that for this reason “we are promoting the half sanction of the project voted in the Senate because we understand that materializing we will open the possibility to recover a good part of the money earned in Argentina that has not paid its taxes and that has fled and today it is punishing many of the Argentines who suffer deprivation as part of those policies.
What did the opposition say?
From the opposition, the deputy of Together for Change Martín Tetaz asked that the Tax Regulations Analysis and Monitoring Commission be turned over because “there is no compliance with tax regulations” and pointed out that “indebtedness with the IMF did not increase the stock of debt with the Argentine Republic, but only changed the creditors. The debt with the Fund was used to pay the debt with private creditors.”
Along the same lines, JxC legislator Alejandro Cacace argued that with the current law, evaders pay higher fines. He exemplified that if a person “evades $1,000,000, the AFIP currently has the power to penalize him and collect $1,700.00; instead, this law says that it can fix it with $200,000. It is a super promotion for the evaders and with Now 12. Consequently, we do not agree.”
For his part, Camaño pointed out that “in my analysis we are dealing with a tribute and as it is a tax rule as established in article 52 of the National Constitution should have entered through the Chamber of Deputies, with which we are leaving the door open for it to be declared unconstitutional”.
He also argued that this project “does not specify the cancellation of which debt we are talking about: whether the current one, the renegotiated one or the one contracted in the future.”
► YOU MAY BE INTERESTED: The Government assured that the little brothers stranded in Spain will return to Mendoza in July
What the bill establishes
- The text establishes that the fund will be constituted in US dollars and will be valid until the total cancellation of the debt with the IMF occurs.
- According to this initiative, people who declare their assets abroad in the first months must pay 20% on all the assets listed in this law.
- It adds that a series of benefits are contemplated for the subjects obliged to pay who declare and pay spontaneously, voluntarily and without the intervention of AFIP, and within six months from the entry into force of the law, provided that they acquiesce in unconditionally and/or desist from any administrative and/or judicial claim.
- It is also clarified that the aforementioned benefits do not exempt from investigations for pre-existing crimes for money laundering, smuggling, terrorism, drug trafficking, human trafficking or others that may correspond.
- In the case in which the person makes the declaration and the payment after 6 months from the entry into force of this law, the payment will rise to 35%.
- If the person, once the inspection by the AFIP has begun, acquiesces to the tax proposal or claim within 15 days of being notified of the preview, the payment will rise to 50%.
- It also provides that its resources will be exclusively allocated for this purpose and must contemplate the amounts provided or reserved for rewards to employees, while determining that the fund will be administered by the Ministry of Economy.
- The process of control, inspection and supervision of its management will be carried out by the Permanent Bicameral Commission for Monitoring and Control of the Management of Contracting and Payment of the Foreign Debt of the Congress.
- Through the project, the National Executive Power is empowered to grant payment terms that may reach up to 12 months and it is provided that the obligated persons who do not enter the payment must comply with all the omitted and/or evaded tax obligations according to the tax laws. .
► YOU MAY BE INTERESTED: “The devil is gay”: the mysterious red van that runs through Mendoza