Israeli-Palestinian conflict: EU expresses “deep concern” and calls for “maximum restraint”

“Israel has the right to protect its civilian population, but everything must be done to prevent a wider conflict, which would primarily affect civilian populations on both sides and lead to further casualties and more suffering,” insisted Peter Stano in a statement. communicated.

He stressed that the violence had already caused “a number of deaths, including civilians and a five-year-old Palestinian girl, and more than 80 injured”.

“These latest events underscore once again the need to restore a political horizon and ensure a lasting situation in Gaza,” he said.

The Israeli army said on Saturday that it was preparing to carry out raids for “a week” in the Gaza Strip, where it is stepping up strikes against the armed organization Islamic Jihad.

Gaza authorities reported 13 dead, including a five-year-old girl, and more than 100 injured.

The Israeli army for its part estimated to have killed 15 fighters of the Islamic Jihad in its strikes since Friday afternoon, targeting in particular sites of manufacture of weapons.

This is the worst confrontation between the Jewish state and armed organizations in Gaza since the eleven-day war in May 2021, which left 260 dead on the Palestinian side and 14 dead in Israel.

Leave a Comment