Israeli-Palestinian conflict: death toll rises to 24, including six children

Twenty-four people, including six children, have died in the Gaza Strip since the outbreak of violence between Israel and the Islamic Jihad group, the Ministry of Health in the Palestinian enclave announced on Saturday.

The ministry said those victims had been killed in Israeli strikes since Friday.

The Israeli authorities contradict this assessment and assure that several Palestinian children were killed on Saturday evening in Jabalia (north) by a failed rocket attack from Islamic Jihad towards Israel, and not by the army.

“Israeli security forces have not struck Jabalia in recent hours,” Israeli Prime Minister Yair Lapid’s office said in a statement.

“It has been irrefutably proven that the incident is the result of a failed launch of a rocket launched by Islamic Jihad,” said this source, saying “have videos”.

Since the start of its operation on Friday, Israel has claimed to target sites belonging to Islamic Jihad, of which 15 fighters have been killed according to the Israeli army.

In retaliation, the Palestinian group fired rockets at Israeli soil, most of them intercepted by the Israeli missile shield. Two people were slightly injured by shrapnel, according to the emergency services.

This is the worst confrontation between the Jewish state and armed organizations in Gaza since the May 2021 war which left 260 dead in eleven days on the Palestinian side, including combatants, and 14 dead in Israel, including a soldier. , according to local authorities.

The Jewish state has imposed a blockade since 2007 on Gaza, a territory of 2.3 million inhabitants governed by the Islamists of Hamas.

Leave a Comment