UNITED STATES.- We tell you the ephemeris of May 14the most important events that occurred on a date like today between 1541 Y 2018.
1541.- The bishopric of Lima is created by a Bull of Paul II.
1610.- Assassination in Paris of King Henry IV of France.
1643.- Proclamation of Louis XIV as King of France.
1796.- The English doctor Edward Jenner performs the first trial of the smallpox or smallpox vaccine.
1811.- Governor Bernardo de Velasco is deposed and the independence of Paraguay is proclaimed.
1814.- The Argentine squad, commanded by Guillermo Brown, defeats the Spanish, which defended Montevideo, in the Buceo naval combat.
1886.- The Cervera-Quiroga expedition arrives in Río de Oro (Africa), taking possession of the territory on behalf of Spain.
1897.- The Italian physicist and inventor Marconi makes the first radio transmission in history.
It may interest you: Child abuse: Amelia Cline quit gymnastics when she was 13 after a series of abuses by her coaches
1900.- The World Amateur Championships begin in Paris, with which the Olympic Games resume.
1948.- David Ben Gurion proclaims the State of Israel in Tel Aviv at the end of the British mandate in Palestine.
1955.- As a reply to NATO, eight Eastern European countries (the USSR, Albania, Bulgaria, Czechoslovakia, Hungary, Poland, Romania and the German Democratic Republic) sign the Warsaw Pact.
1962.- Don Juan Carlos de Borbón, then Prince of Spain, married Princess Sofia of Greece in Athens.
1977.- Don Juan de Borbón renounces his rights to the Crown of Spain and ownership of the Royal House.
1989.- Presidential elections in Argentina: Carlos Menem, candidate of the Justicialist Front of Popular Unity, obtains an absolute majority.
2000.- The Israeli prison services release Sheikh Salah Shehada, historical leader of Hamas.
2003.- Carlos Menem confirms his withdrawal from the second round of the Argentine presidential elections, so Néstor Kirchner becomes the winner of the elections.
2009.- The leader of the Burmese opposition and Nobel Peace Prize winner, Aung San Suu Kyi, is imprisoned.
2011.- The managing director of the International Monetary Fund, Dominique Strauss-Kahn, is arrested in New York accused of sexual assault against a hotel maid, a charge from which he was later exonerated.
2013.- The Council of Justice (CNJ) of Brazil approves marriage between people of the same sex.
2017.- Emmanuel Macron is proclaimed president of France.
2018.- The former president Cristina Fernández (2007-2015) is prosecuted – adding five the number of prosecutions – for alleged money laundering and illicit association.
It may interest you: Shireen Abu Akleh: Israeli police confront attendees at the funeral of a murdered Palestinian journalist and almost drop the coffin
- 1893.- Louis Verneuil, French playwright.
- 1922.- Franjo Tudjman, former president of Croatia.
- 1944.- George Lucas, American film director and producer.
- 1950.- Adolfo Domínguez, Spanish fashion designer and entrepreneur.
- 1952.- David Byrne, Scottish singer, leader of the group Talking Heads.
- 1962.- Ferrán Adriá, Spanish chef.
- 1969.- Cate Blanchet, Australian actress.
- 1971.- Sofia Coppola, American film director.
- 1984.- Mark Zuckerberg, programmer, businessman and founder of Facebook.
- 1643.- Louis XIII, King of France.
- 1912.- Frederick VIII, King of Denmark.
- 1912.- August Strindberg, Swedish playwright.
- 1986.- David Hearst, press tycoon in the United States.
- 1987.- Rita Hayworth, American actress.
- 1998.- Frank Sinatra, American singer and actor.
- 2015.- BBKing, American musician. 2018.- Tom Wolfe, American writer and journalist.
- Saint Matthias Apostle
- Saint Abrunculus of Langres
- Saint Carthage of Lismore
- Saint Enedina of Sardinia
- Saint Eremberto de Toulouse
- Saint Gall of Clermont
- Saint Isidore of Chio
- Holy Just of Sardinia
- Santa Maria Mazzarello
- Saint Maximus of Asia
- Saint Michael Garicoits
- Saint Pontius of Cimiez
- Blessed Gil of Vaozéla
- Blessed Theodore Guérin
- Blessed Tuton of Regensburg
- Chili: Chilean Engineering Day, Engineer’s Day, Manicurist’s Day.
- Continental Insurance Day.
- Paraguay: Independence Day.
- Israel: Independence Day.
- USA: Biscuit Day.