Today the prosecutor Ana Inés Salinas of the Complex Economic Crimes Unit charged the mayor of Salvador Mazza, Rubén Méndez and eleven other people for illicit enrichment after a day of raids where there was a millionaire kidnapping.
In the raids, investigators from the Fiscal Investigators Corps (CIF), who had the support of provincial and federal forces, seized a total of US $ 854,178 (eight hundred and fifty-four thousand one hundred and seventy-eight US dollars); EUR 9,070 (nine thousand and seventy euros) and $ 34,342,350 (thirty-four million, three hundred and forty-two thousand three hundred and fifty Argentine pesos), two BMW cars, two Ford Raptor trucks, cell phones, prepaid cell phone cards, documentation and a weapon with ammunition, among other items of interest to the cause.
One by one these are the accused and the role that each one would have played according to the results of the judicial investigation.
1. Ruben Mendez: Charged for illicit enrichment; embezzlement (three facts) as co-author; embezzlement of services and works as co-author; negotiations incompatible with the exercise of public functions; malicious omission to present the affidavits of assets; breach of the duties of public official and illicit association.
2. Ivanna Irene Méndez (daughter): Charged for illicit enrichment as a necessary participant and illicit association.
3. Roque Maximiliano Méndez (son): Charged for illicit enrichment as a necessary participant; embezzlement (two facts) as a necessary participant and illicit association
4. Susana Angelita Palacio (ex-partner): Charged for illicit enrichment as a necessary participant and illicit association
5. Juan Marco Méndez (brother of the Mayor): Charged for embezzlement (two facts) as co-author; illicit association.
6. Oscar Rodolfo Gutiérrez (private secretary of the Mayor): Charged for embezzlement (two facts) as co-author and illicit association.
7. Jesús Manuel Gijena (brother of the current couple of the Mayor): Charged for embezzlement as co-author; illicit association
8. Roberto Justo Balverdi (Secretary of Finance of the Municipality of Salvador Mazza): Imputed for embezzlement (two facts) as a necessary participant and illicit association.
9. Roberto Orellana (Secretary of Public Works of the Municipality of Salvador Mazza): Charged for embezzlement of services and works as co-author and illicit association.
10. Ángela Paola Beatriz Gijena (partner): Charged for illicit association
11. Jesús José Antonio Reinoso Méndez (nephew): Charged for illicit association.
Rubén Méndez Salazar, in his capacity as Community Chief, directed the criminal enterprise appointing the members and assigning the respective functions; while Roque Maximiliano Méndez was in charge of controlling compliance with the criminal directives issued by the Mayor and, in particular, of the collection of sums of money, explained from the Public Prosecutor’s Office.
For its part, Juan Marco Méndez and Oscar Rodolfo Gutiérrez were the ones who collected the money from municipal posts of collection of fees and contributions, to later transfer them to the Mayor’s home, from where Juan Marco Méndez and Gutiérrez were leaving with empty bags, evidencing a spurious circuit of the money collected in the designated positions.
Jesús Manuel Gijena, as brother-in-law, was the Mayor’s trusted person, taking care of controlling the collection and operation of the VOVE position, where various taxes were collected.
Roberto Orellana and Roberto Justo Balverdi were the ones who execute the directives in the area of the Secretaries of Public Works and Finance.
Ivanna Irene Méndez and Susana Angelita Palacio were in charge of the Intendant’s private economic activity and receive the benefits of criminal maneuvers.
Finally, Ángela Paola Beatriz Gijena and Jesús José Antonio Reinoso Méndez, as trusted persons of the Mayor (partner and nephew, respectively) participated in the circuit of the money obtained by the criminal enterprise.