“It is not just about accusing you, we want to accuse you with the best possible quality of evidence. When we still have questions, it would be foolish to upload rather than wait for answers that could strengthen our position, ”they added.
Brueckner is currently in a German jail, where he was sentenced to 21 months in prison for the rape of an American woman over 70 years old. He is also being investigated for a rape of an Irish woman in the Algarve (in 2004) and for exhibitionism with minors. In addition, he was extradited from Italy to Germany in 2018 on an arrest warrant for drug trafficking.
The police classified him as a suspect in 2017, although he did not make it public until last June. 10 years ago, Brueckner lived in a mobile home near Praia da Luz, in Portugal.
Prosecutors plan to complete the investigation next year in order to gather all possible evidence and press charges. “We will investigate whenever there are clues or information that we can search for. I’m not saying that what we have now is insufficient, but he’s in prison, so we don’t have that pressure on us… we have time on our hands, ”said Wolters.
Among these evidences that they are investigating, is that of a confession that the alleged culprit made to a friend. Also, a telephone analysis that shows that he was at the Ocean Club where Madeleine was at the time of her disappearance.
They also confirmed that last year the prosecutors sent a letter to Kate and Gerry McCann, Madeleine’s parents, which said that the girl was dead and that they had proof of it; this assertion was disputed by the Metropolitan Police.
For now, Brueckner refuses to speak to the police and assures that he was not involved in the kidnapping of the minor.