When the first season of “Cobra Kai” was published on YouTube in 2018, nobody expected how successful and popular the series would later become. After all, the sequel to the “Karate Kid” films from the 80s focuses less on the former hero Daniel LaRusso (Ralph Macchio) and more on the villain Johnny Lawrence (William Zabka). In addition, 34 years after the first part is also a long time.
But “Cobra Kai” delivered from the start. And after the first two seasons had already been watched millions of times on YouTube, the series finally continued its success from season 3 on Netflix. Current figures show how successful “Cobra Kai” is on the streaming provider. Other series can only dream of them.
Cobra Kai: Four times in the Netflix Top10 with 170 million hours
On December 31, 2021, the fourth season of “Cobra Kai” started on Netflix. Of course, the fans immediately started streaming and gave the new season almost 108 million hours watched in the first week of January 2022. This landed “Cobra Kai” season 4 at number 1 in the Netflix Top 10, which shows the most-viewed content on the streaming platform.
But the wave of success of the series continuation of “Karate Kid” is far from breaking. Because “Cobra Kai” has probably gained a few new viewers – or the fans wanted to watch the previous seasons again as a refresher. There is no other explanation for the fact that seasons 1, 2 and 3 are also represented in the top 10 of Netflix in the first week of January – with a total of 62 million watched hours.
This means that “Cobra Kai” is not only represented four times in the stream provider’s list of the most viewed content, it was also watched almost 170 million hours worldwide in one week. A more impressive number that may not be cracked until season 5.
Here is the complete list of the Netflix Top 10 from January 3rd to 9th, 2022:
- “Cobra Kai” Season 4: 107.81 million hours watched
- “Whoever lies once”: 91, “18 million hours viewed
- “The Witcher” Season 2: 5.34 million hours watched
- “Emily in Paris” Season 2: 50.54 million hours watched
- “Manifest” Season 1: 3016 million hours watched
- “The Witcher” Season 1: 28.51 million hours watched
- “Cobra Kai” Season 1: 23.85 million hours watched
- “Queer Eye” Season 6: 23.06 million hours watched
- “Cobrai Kai” Season 3: 20.1 million hours watched
- “Cobra Kai” Season 2: 19.34 million hours viewed