At least six people died and more than 30 were injured this Thursday after an intense shooting in Beirut, during a demonstration that requested the removal of a judge who carries out the investigation into the port explosion in August 2020, where there were more than 6,500 people injured and about 200 deceased. They assure that this is the worst wave of violence in the last decade.
Was the Lebanese Red Cross the one who reported the six deaths during armed clashes in the capital.
The Minister of the Interior of Lebanon, Bassam Mawlawi, assured journalists and local media that it was snipers and armed men who “people were shot in the head“, while four B7 rockets were fired into the air.
This Thursday hundreds of supporters of Hezbollah, backed by Iran, and its main Shiite ally, Amal, when snipers began firing at protesters.
Hooded, they fired at protesters from rooftops, corners, and behind garbage cans.
Both protesters and journalists tried to hide from the bullets as best they could.
The epicenter of violence was the Tayouneh neighborhood, which is located near the birthplace of the Lebanese civil war of 1975-1990.
The attacks went on for hours and only the citizens returned to the streets when Lebanese Red Cross and Civil Defense teams evacuated residents terrified by the detonations of the bombs.
Hezbollah and Amal accused in a joint statement the right-wing Christian party, The Lebanese Forces, of being responsible for sniper attacks. That same match had previously threatened to send counter-protesters to the protests that were scheduled for this Thursday although so far the accusations have not been echoed.
The Lebanese Red Cross reported six deaths during the armed clashes in the Lebanese capital. Interior Minister Bassam Mawlawi told reporters snipers and gunmen “shot people in the head,” while four B7 rockets were fired into the air#Lebanon #Beirut #Beirut pic.twitter.com/DKxWrxzceA
— Khaled New York (@KhaledEibid)
October 14, 2021
“It is clear that those who shot the protesters were organized armed groups that have been planning this attack since yesterday.”a senior Hezbollah official told CNN. “We will not reply. They want to drag us into civil strife and we do not want to sow civil strife. “
The explosion in the port of Beirut in 2020
According to Amnesty International, the Lebanese authorities “have spent the last year blatantly obstructing the search for truth and justice”After the explosion of the port of Beirut, which occurred in August 2020.
The 2,750 tonnes of ammonium nitrate explosion in Beirut port, killing 217 people and injuring nearly 7,000 others, which also caused the displacement of 300,000 people and caused widespread destruction, the devastating effects of which affected buildings located within a 20 km radius, the human rights organization explained.
“The explosion, one of the largest non-nuclear explosions in history, caused widespread devastation and immense suffering.. Lebanese authorities promised a swift investigation, but instead have brazenly blocked and paralyzed the action of justice at every step, despite the tireless campaign carried out by survivors and relatives of the victims for justice to be done and criminal responsibilities established “, expressed Lynn Maalouf, Deputy Director of Amnesty International for the Middle East and North Africa.
This was the explosion in the port of Beirut in 2020