This Tuesday, Bake Off 2021 had its second program and the first technical challenge for the 14 contestants of this new season. After a debut with a cake “free“, the participants had to demonstrate their skills to make a recipe from one of the jurors: Dolli irigoyen.
After the amateur pastry chefs entered the tent, Paula Chaves he announced that this time they had to replicate the chef’s classic meringue and cream roll. To do it, they had the possibility of seeing one already prepared and also, they had the step by step at all times.
To add a difficulty to the original dessert, they decided to add a crunchy meringue base and a decoration with an Italian meringue, in addition to adding strawberries to the filling that can release juice and spoil the filling.
Finally, after evaluating all the preparations, Damian Betular, Pamela Villar and Dolli Irigoyen, decided to award Hernán, the same contestant who had won on Monday with his cake. For this reason, he already added ten extra minutes for Sunday’s elimination competition.
Meringue and cream roll by Dolli Irigoyen
- Manteca 50 g
- Sugar 50 grs.
- Lemon juice 1 Unit
- Peaches or strawberries or plums or mango
- Corn starch 1 tbsp.
- Lemon juice 2 tbsp.
- Clear 4 Units
- Sal 1/4 cdita.
- Sugar 300 grs.
- Milk cream 500ml
- Lime zest 1 Unit
- Sugar 4 tbsp.
- Anise powder 1/2 tsp.
- Beat the whites in the machine, and when they foam, add the sugar little by little.
- Keep beating until you get a firm and shiny meringue.
- Remove it from the machine and incorporate the lemon juice and cornstarch in an enveloping form.
- Line a 35 cm long x 25 cm wide baking sheet with greased parchment paper.
- Pour and spread the meringue evenly.
- Bake at 160 ° C for 25 to 30 minutes.
- Remove the meringue from the oven and unmold on a parchment paper sprinkled with plenty of powdered sugar (so that the wrapping does not stick to the paper).
- In the machine, beat the cream together with the scented sugar with the lemon zest and the vanilla essence until it takes consistency.
- Spread over the cooked meringue and roll using the paper.
- Take immediately to the refrigerator.
- Cut the fruits into cubes and sauté in butter and sugar.
- When they have caramelized add the lemon juice.
- Serve the stream with the fruits.